In honor of one of my good friends training for her first half marathon I decided to post my top 5 running tips for new runners.
5. Don’t get discouraged. When training for a race you’re going to have your ups and downs. You’re going to have runs that you struggle to get through but it’s persevering through these difficult moments that makes you a better runner and will help you get through the ups and downs of a long race.
4. Don’t forget the importance of weight training. Doing exercises like squats and lungs will help strength important muscles that will help you to avoid injury.
3. Try a variety of running workouts but especially train for hills a long a course. You’ll have so much more confidence come race day if you know that you’ll have no problem tackling the hills that are on the course.
2. If you’re going to be training to run more than just a 5K, get fitted for proper running shoes. As a new runner you can go without a lot of fancy gadgets or gear but not having the right type of shoes can cause you to get injured.
1. Take time to enjoy those moments on your run where you feel really good and be sure to rejoice in all the progress you make a long the way!